I was sitting in the press box for an Owen Sound Attack – London Knights game on Friday, when a close friend, Dominic Tiano, sent me a quick BBM that he was dropping by for a quick chat. As we stood there together, the game started and we were quickly interrupted by the blaring of horns.
Obviously one of the Knights players had scored.
Dominc turned to me with a smirk, “Griffith scored again.”
It was as if he or I need not even look at the board to see. We both just knew. Seth Griffith is a name that is gaining steam this year amongst scouts, and draft junkies alike. Something to look for over the course of the season are a number of undrafted forwards including the likes of Griffith and Mitchell Heard.
Just more depth for the 2012 Draft.
1. Saskatoon Blades forward, and Maple Leafs Draft Pick, Josh Nicholls, was given the chance to play with Brayden Schenn quite a bit in Schenn’s brief time with the Blades. When asked about the Toronto Media, Nicholls had this to say: “You’re pretty aware of that going into things but it’s nice to have a guy like Luke on the team there, someone I was able to go to for advice.” Sounds like he was able to use his teammate to get to know Luke.
2. Was in attendance at the Sarnia-London game on Sunday. The story of the game was Knights undersized forward, Tyler Ferry, who shadowed FC’s top ranked 2012 Prospect, Nail Yakupov. When asked what he was saying to the OHL’s Top Scorer, Ferry had this to say: “I talked to Vladdy who knows him a bit; gave me some Russian chirps to send his way.”
3. Speaking of Yakupov, he was visually frustrated following the game on Sunday and for good cause. I did notice that he was able to use Ferry overshadowing him to open up lanes on the PP. Smart plays.
4. Nail also mentioned that he has never had a team play him the way London did, using one player to stick to him like glue. I wonder if that will change anytime soon.
5. One scout on Olli Maatta: “He’s always learning.”
6. London Assistant Coach, Misha Donskov, on Maatta: “He’s a real cerebral player.”
7. A thought on Jarrod Maidens and his struggles offensively lately. Looks a bit confused on the wing, playing with Daniel Catenacci. Have a feeling he would appreciate a move back to the middle of the ice.
8. Shared an elevator with Tie Domi at a Knights game recently. He reinforced that it was Max’s decision to play in the Ontario Hockey League, and that he as a father had preferred that his son go the school route.
9. Scott Stajcer started two of three games for Owen Sound this weekend. Is there any confidence in Jordan Binnington from above?
10. Something I love about Major Junior Hockey? Cute elderly couples who fill local arenas all decked out in their team uniforms.
11. Always love hearing what coaches and players nickname each other. Mark down Andreas Athanasiou as “Double A”.
Brian Huddle is a Future Considerations correspondant and can be found on Twitter. For all the latest Future Considerations news and posts, follow FC’s Official Twitter Feed, on YouTube and on Facebook!